Sunday, April 1, 2012

Raccoons and Their Supposed Invasions into My Roof


I need to bring you up to date on my Raccoons. I wrote questioning whether Raccoons had invaded my attic. Friends came to check. One was a young construction worker who gladly scrambled up onto my roof, the other a close friend who has rebuilt his house. They looked, and looked, and looked, and found no access. No hole was large enough to allow a Raccoon to enter.All very well, said I, but they were there. I heard them above my head, scrambling and vociferating. I know those sounds from the time Raccoons lived for some months under my house. The men looked at me a little strangely. It was a puzzle. No access. I did not doubt what I heard, and was a little nervous about their return. If they came looking for a breeding area the female was already pregnant. That meant they would return, in my way of thinking. Yet, how did they get in? The only thing the men found were mouse droppings, which was no surprise. In a huge attic, mice could easily find a small hole somewhere--but a big one?I worried it in my mind, and called a professional exterminator. He would know that breeding Raccoons were protected by government law. This man found the same thing--no access. What do you people think of that? What would you do? Have you had a similar experience? I had been certain my roof was tight.At my insistence the man looked further. It was possible the Raccoons found a way somewhere down below. (They cannot get into the crawl spaces, so if they found a way down there, why would they not stay like before?) He said they might have found some entrance to crawl into the walls of the older house, and make their way up to and between layers of protection, to "under" the roof above my head. There is a tar and gravel roof left by the builder above which he put the roof trusses. They stayed only a matter of five minutes, so they must have decided it would be too difficult for their "kits" when they had to lead them out.The man looked still further and found a small brown trail in the snow leading to the old shed next door. An appropriate larger hole gaped in the wall near the roof. An old, downed tree root made easy access to crawl up the old wall of the shed.I feel a tremendous relief. They were settled there, no doubt sleeping while we trampled below. My roof was safe--at least for now. They may visit next year--but that is Next Year.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: