Sunday, April 1, 2012

Have You Ever Seen a Butterfly Bird?

I had a most striking experience one day some years ago, while out walking with a young friend. We had walked almost a mile to a small pond we always used as a stopping off point on long walks, or when skiing. My friend and I sat resting on one of the large stones surrounding the pond enjoying the quiet, listening to the birds. The dogs lay quietly beside us. During one of the lulls, we noticed a small bird flitting about with an unusual pattern of flight. His flight reminded us of a butterfly. Bright orange on his wings and tail feathers struck us as beautiful. Otherwise he had a black head and back, with a white tummy. When we arrived home, of course we went for the Bird book by Roger Tory Peterson. Sure enough there was our bird. He was a small, 4 1/2 to 5 1/2" Warbler, a Redstart. Officially, Peterson calls him an American Redstart, (Setophaga rusticilla) "The Redstart is one of the most butterfly-like birds. It is constantly flitting about, drooping its wings and spreading fanwise its tail." This was the male. In the female, the orange is replaced by a bright yellow. We did not see her. Audubon has a great book as well, but I always turned to Peterson first. This was exciting. We had no need for field glasses; he was that close to us. Such experiences make bird watching a joy. Perhaps you have seen a similar spectacular bird. Nature charms. A friend in the Eastern Townships, south of here, saw in her wood, a Pileated Woodpecker, the largest of the woodpeckers. I always seem to miss the most spectacular birds. That is why I fill my birdhouses--in case someone of note comes by. When I had time to sit out in my garden--I never seem to these days--I used to watch the Hummingbirds flit about by me, drinking from the red preparation I had mixed for them in their special feeder. My brilliant red geraniums attracted them also. It is fun to watch colorful and fascinating birds. The "butterfly" Redstart was a bright gem on that particular day.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: