Monday, September 14, 2009

WINDS AND WEBS AND WINGS AND WEATHER

The weather definitely is changing. I have two old maple trees needing cutting, but have as yet to arrange for the deed. Because the one at the front of the house is slowly dying, its leaves always fall first in my area, beautifully red in color. I have had to rake again and again--especially when the prevailing winds drive the leaves across the street and next door to my neighbors. It is a clear indicator of the fall season--that, and the cooler days and nights.

This coming week I have to clean up my small blooming plants outside in my garden, to ready them for indoors. That involves spraying. Our area produces extremely large garden spiders, so that by fall my garden is full of them. They do their work taking care of small insects, but I rather suspect their growth is due to their cannibalistic tendencies feeding on smaller chums. Ugh! The webs are everywhere so that when I go outside, I must take a stick to clear my path. It is not as bad as Miss Havisham's house--but bad enough. My former neighbor used to say "they'll be gone soon because the birds eat them." Oh?

Well, I am not sure how that can be because the birds themeslves appear to have gone. They have already packed their tents...and silently stolen away. I still hear the chickadees but so few others. Another month before the blackbirds are gone perhaps, (since they congregate here before they leave) then I can fill my feeders again. In saying I especially miss seeing the Cardinals and Blue Jays, I repeat myself. Fall has arrived.

Winds, webs, and wings. The weather vane has turned itself about.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: