Monday, September 7, 2009

MY DARLING JEWEL, A SUPERB SHELTIE

I had a darling Shetland Sheepdog named Jewel. I was given her by a breeder who wanted to find her a home since she had been bred three times. Breeders often try to find an appropriate home for their bitches--especially when they already have a 'top dog' in their home. The breeder wanted a loving home for Jewel rather than leave her in the Kennel.

Jewel was 'top dog' in the Kennel. I watched as all of the dogs deferred to her, young, and older dogs. She appeared unruffled by the noise and jumping about her. I was thrilled when I was first introduced to her. My comments were, "She's beautiful! I've got my work cut out for me." She had a full coat. In Shelties this means 1) a smooth top coat, and 2) a thick, fluffy undercoat. Brushing out such a coat is work. Shelties can be outdoors in all weather, unconcerned by rain, etc. This is part of their heritage as herding dogs.

Her color was what is called Tricolor. Breeders are careful with the genetics, so I won't go into it here, but she was mostly black with tan around the muzzle and back legs. She had a white bib (with some black) and skirt, with white front legs and white back feet, plus a bit of white on the tail tip. Jewel had good bone, single-tracked, a lovely eye, and conformed so closely to the Standard, I believe she received her Championship on one weekend.

I paid for Jewel to be spayed, and when she was recovered, I brought her home. I had already fallen in love with her. Although dogs adjust to a new home, older dogs never completely forget their past. She was reserved--a queen. I could hug her, but she always retained her own feelings. Not especially intelligent, as some of my dogs have been, she made up for it by her beauty. She was bred to be a breeder. I knew one of her Blue Merle puppies, also a Champion.

The breeder was sorry to lose her. We went back for a visit, but when she saw Jewel run from her to our camper, she knew Jewel had 'left.' There were tears in her eyes. Dogs pull at your heart strings. I truly miss my darling girl. How priviliged I was to know such a superb dog.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: