Saturday, August 15, 2009

WATER, WATER, EVERYWHERE--A FORCE OF NATURE

That has been our lament for so long. Now we are in a heat wave.

The young Robins have eaten most of the chokecherries, and are off again. There will be none for the Cardinals in winter. Whoops! The adolescents are back again today for the last few. Apart from some cheeky squirrels outside my window, the animals and birds have mostly abandoned my garden. Even the toads are asleep.

Before this past week, water, in the form of rain, was on most people's minds around here. This week we have lots of heat. I needed to water my vegetables and flowers. I believe I only watered once this summer--or was it twice? The majority of folk are happy, and off to swim and enjoy their holidays. The heat, although late, is most pleasing. I had thought it would never come. The sun is making its presence felt in the garden. I picked a cucumber and some tomatoes today. Neighbors busy themselves cutting grass--a summer sound. I notice more planes overhead. Perhaps people are optimistic about traveling with sunny days.

I remember the rain in my youth, lying under an aluminum roof at the cottage, enjoying the sound as it pattered on, sending me off to sleep. It was a comforting sound--as was the lap of waves on the beach. We lived at the end of the lake and the prevailing winds brought the waves our way, along with the driftwood. I loved the waves on turbulent days. The sounds of water can be a pleasant memory--as my watching the insects in our small spring cavorting about. A favorite poet called it a water carnival. How truly apt. I miss those innocent days.

Who wouldn't wish for sun rather than constant rain? We are well rid of those dreary months. Water, water, stay away. We would enjoy the sun!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: