Sunday, August 2, 2009

MY GARDEN INHABITANTS

It is quiet around here these days in my garden. I see mainly squirrels seeking nuts for winter. The small warblers, etc., appear to have already left for greener (warmer) pastures. So, I will talk about the other inhabitants.

Walking the woods, we usually saw Monarch butterflies about because of the many milkweed plants. The Monarchs came to our garden as well, but I haven't seen them this summer--actually, I haven't been able to get out much because of our aggressive rain. I have seen several of the smaller varieties of butterflies. Even the ubiquitous cabbage whites have been scarce.

Summer is peeping out late, so more interesting garden action could still occur. Animals, such as raccoons, have not tackled my lettuce this year--only the slugs. They love the rain. The tomatoes are distressingly green, but without the sun, what can they do? By now there are often many large garden spiders, but I do not see these, perhaps because the rain destroys their webs. I do see cellar spiders in my house, of course, but country houses must deal with such nuisances. Once, after an extensive cleaning for visitors, I commented that I must have missed a little guy since I saw a slight web on the lamp hanging above our table. One older visitor very graciously said, he deserved to live since he had outwitted me.

I have a family of toads. I regularly saw a big, fat, papa toad. Since I had to move the (flower) barrel he wintered under because the wood rotted, I am uncertain where he now lives. He is a successful toad, however, because quite a few baby toads hop about. The little guys are cute; I have to be careful not to step on them. I enjoy having them about. A friend from England said that if I have toads living in my garden, it is a good one.

We used to have snakes, but they have long since disappeared. Change is good.

With all of my flowers--especially my bright geraniums, hummingbirds came to my feeder, but it has been a bad summer. Lots of rain for berries, but too much, causing mold. I am looking forward to the day in the fall when the blackbirds leave so I can begin feeding the birds again. They live so high in the trees, unless they come down for food, I hear, but don't often see them. Now that the young have all hatched and grown up, the garden is rather sparse in the bird category.

I love my garden and its inhabitants. It is fascinating to watch their comings and goings. Do you have a garden?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: