Saturday, August 8, 2009

FRUIT FROM ONE'S GARDEN IS A BENEFIT OF NATURE

This year fruit has abundantly blessed my garden. Red and black raspberries, red currants, and of course, rhubarb. I must pull it once again. When one lives in the country, it is pleasant to not always be bound to shop for food. A garden is delightful.

One day this week a friend arrived with her son to gather berries from the heavily laden chokecherry tree at the front of my house. The tree, trimmed afterward, looked much better. The rain--that is the secret. The last time I saw the tree so heavily laden, was three years ago. At least the rain has some benefits. Happily, I have been promised a jar of jelly.

Beside my den/studio window stands another chokecherry tree. It also bears heavily laden fruit. This one enjoys the cavorting of two young, immature robins--from a second nesting. They wear the creeping red breast, but mostly mottled, immature spots. They will be ready for their trip in the fall. Mom or Pop hovers when they are jaunting about. The fruit depends from a stem--awkward for the young ones to get at, but they soldier on. This occurs several times a day and is delightful to watch.

I just noted a catbird there. No doubt other birds will find the tree. There may be little left for the cardinals in the winter, who enjoy picking at the dried fruit.

I gathered the last of the berries this morning. Do you have fruit in your garden? What kind?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: