Saturday, July 4, 2009

WALKING YOUR DOG BRINGS HEALTH AND JOY

When I was younger, and newly moved to the country from a large city, I reveled in the ability to walk for miles--but I did not think to do this until I received a dog from a breeder, who wanted her bitch to have a good home. Our bitch could breed once more, and after some thought, we went ahead. Much to the surprise of the breeder, our Sheltie had seven puppies--unusual in a Shetland Sheepdog. They would have four or five. I will write about that another time. What I want to talk about here is our walks in the fields and woods.

Herding dogs need to walk a few miles a day at least, which was good for me; I got healthier. We mostly made a several mile circuit around, and to, a pond, where we rested before coming home. We usually walked in all kinds of weather. The dogs loved it, nor did they get wet through because of their double coats. They did get dirty. I have a photo of one dreadful day when the three of them got into a lot of burs. The mother was a bit more circumspect. I had time then, and spent hours cleaning them up and removing the burs. Fellow breeders told me that they do not walk their dogs in bad weather--just let them run in the yard. Demands of time taught me the wisdom of this.

I will never forget the joy we had on those days, the rabbits who raced away from my rogues, and the grouse they surprised and sent flying. Each walk proved interesting, and fun, even in winter as they skied with us.

Get yourself a dog. It does amazing things for your health, both physically and emotionally.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Flora,
Thanks for sending the link through Angelika...We have a black lab that we are particularly proud of ...he has one of the most beautiful temperaments and not to mention, his face is also quite lovely...your walks sound so still and peaceful...before the fall weather kicks in, I would love to have our Teckino meet your brood and go for a walk in the country ....let me know when is a good time for you....
With Best Regards
Irene
aqua_irene@yahoo.ca