Thursday, May 21, 2009

WILD ANIMALS WE LOVE WITH BANDIT EYES, No.2

After the new roof went on, and the stairs were removed, serious problems with our raccoon family arose. During the winter, they pushed aside the board covering the crawl space vent, and poked a hole in the screen, taking up residence under the house. The noises we had heard above were nothing to the noises below, as they huffed, wheezed, and chewed. (My wires???)

Research confirmed I could not "turf them out." They were protected by law until the "young" could leave in the spring. I monitored their comings and goings by leaning a large board against the opening. The banging became so loud, I foolishly banged on the floor to shut them up. Wrong thinking there. The "male," no doubt, took exception, and banged back. His chewing increased, to get to his rival?? From then on, I crept about. The noises and chewing continued, but never at night, since the male was gone.

When breeding took place, all became quiet. They stayed inside for 3-4 days, again with the birth. I found it difficult to tell exact times, missing much of the comings and goings. Presumably, when the pups were born, or whelped, the parents came out for food. The large male I would see at dusk, leaving for the fields. He was back next day, at first light? I saw the smaller female only once, and never saw the pups. They moved about at late dusk, so it became difficult to see them come and go. By late spring, when I knew our wild little bandits had gone, I had the area boarded up. The solution, I found, was a heavy mesh screen, dug down one foot, and nailed tightly with boarding all around. The relief I felt was overwhelming.

I should have solved this problem sooner--what we all must do to be responsible members of our community and environment. The raccoons must live in the woods. It is only people like me--and perhaps you, who make animals take the easy way out.

How would you have handled this?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: