Tuesday, May 26, 2009

HOW CAN OUR WILDLIFE SURVIVE "PROGRESS?"

I dislike all-terrain vehicles.

Some years ago, when I was not quite so busy, I walked the fields from spring through fall with my dogs. I took along sketching materials and field glasses. As I sat sketching, the dogs lying quietly beside me, I saw many interesting birds. I also saw on my walks a number of large hawks, such as the red-tailed, and smaller species. I had the privilege of seeing a harrier, a male snowy owl, swooping low, for his dinner, since they are day feeders. Nyctea scandiaca. I remember, because I did a water color painting of a beautiful female.

Then all-terrain vehicles came. The birds played least-in-sight, and I no longer saw them. The larger hawks left the area altogether, except for several smaller varieties.

We saw the odd fox, summer, and winter (while cross-country skiing), and a neighbor's son, walking some distance from home late one evening, was followed by a coyote. With the all-terrain vehicles, these animals disappeared, from our view, at least. I miss seeing the animals and birds.

Most sad of all has been the highways built for "progress," which cut off the habitat of deer, moose, and the smaller animals who must cross these roads and highways to their own destruction, bringing harm often to motorists as well. Signs are up for the motorists, but the animals cannot read them.

All-terrain vehicles, and new roads and highways and more? What can we do to help these wild animals faced with progress?

Your thoughts?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: