Wednesday, August 11, 2010

PREDATORS IN MY AREA, No.1

I have been somewhat late writing on my blog because of falls breaking and cracking ribs, which have left me rather tardy in posting.

Today, while processing some laundry, I heard a cry of distress, so looked out the back door on the garden side. There, on my small shed was a HARRIER HAWK (MARSH) female sitting on something wriggling. I believed it too late for rescue. It was a JUNCO. I figured this because I could go out on the porch and natter away at her at how naughty she was without her blinking, but going about her business. The poor JUNCO was dead now. I went on berating her anyway; she had no fear of me. She finally flew away with her prize to the next yard where they were lost to sight. We are heavily treed here.

Last week I saw a flock of JUNCOS. They come back for the fall and winter. I also saw a flock of STARLINGS, who do not usually remain here. The birds are on the move, and already the small birds have gone. It i s early this year. I miss their chattering. So much is changing, even leaves falling.

I have never seen HARRIERS so close to civilization here. I used to see them a lot when I walked the fields. I could have dispensed with such a spectacle this morning.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: